Wednesday, June 20, 2012

घड़ी-साज़ - Horologist

I met him yesterday evening. He was sitting at his humble makeshift counter shop at the sector market. While I was waiting at his counter, to get battery changed for my wrist-watch, my mind started to notice, the calm, the smoothness with which he was dealing with customers.

He must be around 50, his voice and his composure is the written proof. He fixed the chain length for a boy, boy ask,"Uncle, kitney paise hue ? (How much to pay ?)", he responded with same depth, in which he told me to wait, "dus rupuye beta (Rs 10/- only son)"..After which he took my watch, took out clippers to open the dial at the back, 1st try, didn't budge, 2nd trial...no success....then he took out other set of tools...tried again...no luck...'hmmmm...he said'....

3 failed attempts, in front of customer...I started to think...how will he face me now...his job is to open...and with failures !!! at this age...what's he gonna say...?

Well...he said, "beta lagta hai ye jaam ho gaya hai, isko kal din mein dekhte hain, thoda oiling karni padegi..abhi raat bhi ho gayi hai...kal din mein le aana...mujhko bhi saaf dikhega"...(Son, it seems, the join is bit rusty, bring it tomorrow during the day, I will oil the join a bit and then it should budge...no worries, I will fix it for sure tomorrow...during the day I can see much clearly".

I listened, I listen the calmness and sooth in the tone, the clarity in the voice and the belief in tomorrow. 

I saw him getting small money for fixing time for others.There he is smiling for each coin...and here I am still finding happiness in the ...what the heck !!!...

There he is sitting in hot weather of NCR, in front of pavements with his wooden makeshift counter, with a small wardrobe...with calm face...belief in tomorrow...and hope in eyes at the age of 50...and here I am standing...all worried...for thousands of lame expectations of family, friends, colleagues, superior...lord and myself...

There he is sitting calmly on his wooden broken chair managed by brick on one side, smile on his face...deep wrinkles around his eyes...and here am I thinking about how to and what to and when to...always in hurry...always thinking...2 steps ahead...where is pleasure...when will I be delighted...

what the heck...the thought machine kick me to my sense...no more...thoughts...no more worries...kick the stress...breathe ...respire...inhale....that's life...

from now on...

I will Inhale....I will Inhale deep....respire...breathe and will live long...that's what I am destined for....Live Long..enjoy and be happy !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment